Glaucoma is a kind of eye disorder which damages optic nerves of the eye.
The optic nerve of the eye is responsible for carrying out information from the eyes to the brain. This disorder can lead to a vision loss and complete blindness. This disorder is usually linked to eye pressure, which is also called ocular hypertension. But, glaucoma may also occur when intraocular pressure is normal.
Types of Glaucoma
There are basically two types of glaucoma-
- Open-Angle Glaucoma- It is the most common type of glaucoma and is also named as wide-angle glaucoma. In this type of glaucoma, drain structure present in the eye, called ‘trabecular mesh-work’ looks like a normal. But in actual, fluid does not flow out normally. Blindness caused by glaucoma is around six times more prevalent in the African American citizens than citizens of the United States.
- Angle-Closure Glaucoma- This type of glaucoma is also named as chronic angle-closure or narrow-angle glaucoma. The eye does not drain correctly as the angle between the iris and cornea is too narrow and the iris is in the way. It causes the sudden creation of high eye pressure. This eye disorder is also connected with the farsightedness and cataracts. Few symptoms of acute ACG are blurry vision, seeing halos around the light, panic eye pain, nausea, and vomiting.
Treatment of Glaucoma
Treatment of glaucoma depends on the severity of the particular case. It includes glaucoma surgery, lasers or medication as per specific case. Eye drops given for medication reduces an intraocular pressure of the eye. As glaucoma is usually painless, thus people may become careless about their eye. If they do not take eye drops on a regular basis as per recommendations, it can lead to permanent eye damage.
Prevention of Glaucoma
One must follow the given tips for controlling their eye pressure and promoting eye health-
- A person must add dark leafy greens and fish in his or her regular diet. These are high in omega 3 fatty acids.
- One should reduce intake of caffeine as it raises the eye pressure.
- Having regular exercise can reduce the eye pressure.
- One should use a wedge pillow for keeping the head slightly raised to around 20 degrees during sleep. It keeps the eye pressure normal.