The Motor Vehicle Act (Amendment) Bill 2017 proposes the application of hefty penalties on auto companies. Auto companies were found manufacturing the faulty vehicles. This Bill is coming up in the Rajya Sabha in the upcoming winter session.
The Bill also provides statutory guidelines for cab aggregators and 10 percent annual increase in the penalties for violation of traffic rules. The Lok Sabha had passed this Bill in the April 2017.
Main Proposals in the Bill
Following are the main proposals of the bill-
- The Bill makes Aadhaar mandatory to receive the driving license and registration of vehicles.
- For accidental deaths due to hit and run case of motor vehicles, the government of India will provide a compensation of Rs.2 lack or more to the family of a victim. At present, this amount is just Rs.25, 000.
- If teenagers violate the traffic rules, the guardians or the actual owners of the vehicle will be responsible for the offense.It will be unless guardians will prove that their child has committed the offense without their knowledge or they have tried a lot to prevent the same. In case of failure, the government will cancel the registration of vehicle and teenager has to face the trial under the Juvenile Justice Act.
- This Bill has provision for protecting humanitarian. People who came forward to help the accident victims will seek protection from the government against civil or criminal liability. It will be just optional for them to disclose their identity to the police or medical personnel.
- The government has raised the penalty for drunk drivers from Rs.2000 to Rs.10, 000.
- For rash drivers, the government has raised the fine from Rs.1,000 to Rs.5,000.
- The government has increased the fine for drivers without a license from Rs.500 to Rs.5,000.
- Drivers driving the vehicle with over-speed will have to pay fine between Rs.1,000 to Rs.2,000.
- If a driver drives the vehicle without wearing a seatbelt, then he or she has to pay fine of Rs.1,000 instead of Rs.100.
- The fine for talking on mobile phone while driving is raised from R.1, 000 to Rs.5, 000.